Notices

Go Back   Ice Cream Forum > Ice Cream > Ice Cream Makers
Unread 07-27-2017, 08:16 AM
New Flavor

Default What is the best ice cream maker 2017?

Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
This is a simply fantastic ice cream maker. Priced relatively affordable, it allows for a lot of ice cream making, while also being efficient and easy-to-use.
Whynter ICM-200LS Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker
Priced more expensive than other ice cream makers. It is one of the best ice cream makers on the market today. It has a beautiful housing to it, and it is very easy-to-use. It has safety features in place
White Mountain Ice Cream Maker
It looks like one of the ice cream makers from the 19th century, but at the same time works like a modern-day ice cream maker. For a unique look, and a great ice cream maker.
Breville BCI600XL Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker
This ice cream maker comes with everything you would expect from a top-of-the-line maker. Easy to use and designed to look great in the kitchen, you will get a lot out of this excellent ice cream maker.
Visit my website at signature to see more reviews
Unread 07-30-2017, 05:44 AM
New Flavor

Hi. The KitchenAid I believe is also a solid contender in the home market giving awesome performance, satisfactory power while taking minimal space. It has a 325-watt motor which gives you a stunning power to cost value. It comes with an ice cream maker attachment — KitchenAid KICA0WH that conveniently fits onto their mixers. In one cycle, the ice cream maker can produce 2 quarts of fresh ice cream or other frozen delights, while taking just a quarter of an hour. Since the attachment is powered by the stand mixer, you do not have to do anything extraordinary to make it work. Just put in the ingredients and dasher and leave the freeze bowl to do the rest. See the review @icecreamguide.net
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:44 PM
New Flavor

I had a Cuisinart ICE-30WC for a couple of years and loved it for producing delicious creamy ice cream. It also had a relatively large freezer bowl (2L).

The downside: It didn't have a compressor so if you like to make multiple batches of ice cream or don't have much freezer space, it's not ideal as you need to freeze the bowl overnight.

For home use, I now have a Breville Smart Scoop which has a compressor and allows me to make ice cream all night if I want to It's ok but I feel it has a few issues: firstly, I enjoyed ice cream from the much cheaper Cuisinart more than the Breville; and secondly, it struggles to get the job done when the bowl starts getting full.

I'd like to try the Stella Musso 5030 next. If anyone has one I'd love to get your opinions on it?
Unread 08-31-2017, 03:47 AM
New Flavor

Hi Nate,

Why do you think you enjoyed the ice cream from the Cuisinart ICE-30WC more than the Smart Scoop?

I've been using the Smart Scoop for a couple of months now and I sort of agree. I certainly don't think it makes ice cream any better than the ICE-30.

In fact, I don't think any of the domestic compressor ice cream machines make ice cream that's better than the even cheaper ICE-21!

Unless that is, you go for one of the Musso machines. I've just taken delivery of the Stellas little brother, the Lello 4080 Musso Lussino, and I've only made one batch so far, but the ice cream was UNBELIEVABLE!

It was on a completely different level to all the other domestic compressor machines I've used (Cuisinart ICE-100, Smart Scoop, Knox Gear).

I was a bit surprised, as I'd seen a few comments saying it was better but not that much better than these other machines.

As I say for me, it's on a different level.

And as the Stella is just a bigger capacity version of the 4080, I'd say you should definitely go for it!

Cheers

Carl
Unread 09-15-2017, 06:21 PM
New Flavor

Hi Carl,

Thanks, its great to hear you've had a good experience with the 4080, you've made my mind up! They're not cheap here in Australia, like everything, we seem to get charged more here!

Regarding my previous cuisinart maker, I just felt it produced ice cream with better texture. My smart Scoop doesn't seem to have the same power towards the end of churning.

Cheers,
Nate.
Unread 10-08-2017, 10:06 AM
New Flavor

Hi Nate,

I've been using the Smart Scoop a bit more over the past few weeks. And I totally agree with you. The ICE-30 makes better ice cream. As does every other compressor machine I've tested!

I've written my thoughts (in great detail!) here: https://www.dreamscoops.com/best-ice...-scoop-review/

But basically, there's a couple of big issues with the Smart Scoop...

Firstly, the compressor is very keen to turn itself off. So if you hit PAUSE during churning. Or if you let the pre-cool function run out without hitting START. Or the timer in Manual mode reaches zero. If you do any of these things, the paddle stops rotating and the compressor turns off immediately.

In some cases this is fair enough (although on other machines if you pause during churning, the paddle stops but the compressor keeps running for a while).

But the thing is, even if you re-start the machine immediately, although the paddle starts rotating again straight away, the compressor takes a while to come back on again, during which time there can be a lot of melting.

For sure, you can overcome this drawback by making sure that you don't stop the machine until the ice cream is ready. But even when you do this, the ice cream will still be poorer than other machines, because...

Secondly, it's just not very good at freezing the ice cream mixture! And I think this is more to do with the paddle than the compressor. Because in my tests, the compressor seems to be as powerful as the other ice cream makers.

So I think it's probably the one bladed paddle and the big gap it leaves between the side of the bowl.

Anyway, it's a real shame because the Smart Scoop is really well made and has lots of cool features. Plus it's pretty expensive!

I hope you are able to get the Lello because you'll notice a massive difference. Out of interest how much do they cost in Australia?

Thanks

Carl
Unread 10-10-2017, 09:05 PM
New Flavor

Thanks for the review link Carl. It's definitely a comprehensive review and I wish I'd read it before I bought my Smart Scoop!

The prices seem to vary wildly for the Musso and they're not widely available here in Aus. I'd love to buy one on Amazon but they won't ship here. They seem to be priced around $1600 but I've seen them selling for a lot more in some retail stores.
Unread 10-11-2017, 09:13 AM
New Flavor

Wow that is really expensive!!

Tags
ice cream guides, ice cream maker reviews