Notices

Go Back   Ice Cream Forum > Regional Ice Cream Scenes > United States > New York
Unread 06-26-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Los Angeles' MILK opens ice cream sandwich pop-up in NoLIta

From AM New York via amny.com:
Los Angeles' MILK opens ice cream sandwich pop-up in NoLIta
By Nicole Levy June 21, 2017
A Los Angeles emissary has landed in New York City on the first official day of summer — in the form of photogenic ice cream sandwiches made with macarons.

MILK, the cult-favorite ice cream parlor from the City of Sunshine, is opening its first city pop-up shop for four days at noon Wednesday in Nolita.
The dessert purveyor will be selling ice cream scoops — in flavors from traditional vanilla to exotic mango chili ($4 a scoop) — to promote its new line of takeaway pints imminently available for nationwide shipping. But it's also serving the brand's iconic, colorful ice cream sandwiches ($6).
The size of an average Chipwich, the sweets come with ice cream nestled between two jumbo macarons. The full list of 13 flavors includes strawberry, cookies & cream, salty caramel and blueberry crumble. Some of the more decadent options are rolled in toppings like chocolate and your favorite Technicolor cereal, Fruity Pebbles.
MILK's pop-up at 52 Kenmare St. will serve customers noon to midnight through Sunday, June 25.
http://www.our-haunted-island.com
Unread 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Default My visit to the MILK pop-up

I first visited on the first day, only to discover that they had sold out of their iconic ice cream sandwiches, which, incidentally, were not cheap, at $6 a pop. They had a selection of sold-by-the-scoop ice cream, most of which was in fairly conventional flavors, some of which ran out also. Perhaps because of the rapid consumption of the day's allotment of the ice cream, the actual operating hours of the shop, at least on that first day, were a far cry from those reported in the article about the pop-up from Am New York; the shop closed in the early evening of the first day.
I managed to get back on the second day, only to discover that while the bins of ice cream in the display window had clearly been restocked, some of the more distinctive flavors of ice cream sandwich had sold out. The employees working at the pop-up claimed that they got a fresh stock of ice cream and ice cream sandwiches flown in from LA for each day the pop-up was in operation, and unpacked ice cream sandwiches from large, flat, frost-encrusted boxes to put them into a small glass-doored freezer. Someone ahead of me on line expressed regret that the pop-up was going away so soon and said that she wished it would be there permanently. The employee who answered her said that the reason the company was doing the pop-up shop in the first place was as a form of market research; assessing how well received their treats would be in NYC.
I bought what they called a Reese's Pieces ice cream sandwich. Both its macaron cookies and its inner ice cream were a subdued beige shade, unlike the candy-colored Fruity Pebbles ice cream sandwich which was also encrusted with some examples of its namesake. Alas, this was not the case with the Reese's Pieces ice cream sandwich. Though it was not bad, the macarons and vanilla ice cream with a light peanut butter flavor had chunks of broken peanut butter cups in them, but none of the colorful small candy pieces made famous by E.T.
As of this writing, the time reportedly allotted to the pop-up is over. I hope they come back (or fate takes me to LA) so I can try the Grasshopper and the Earl Grey Tea ice cream sandwiches.
http://www.our-haunted-island.com

Tags
ice cream sandwiches, ice cream shops, macarons, milk, pop-up shop