Notices

Go Back   Ice Cream Forum > Regional Ice Cream Scenes > Canada
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:53 AM

Question Ontario, Canada: Am I an ice cream criminal?

from The Brampton Guardian:
http://www.thebramptonguardian.com/e.../article/69975
Quote:
Am I an ice cream criminal
Wednesday May 27 2009

I must say that the letters coming into The Brampton Guardian have improved. I have never been much of a reader of this newspaper until I became hooked on the hottest debate to hit this side of the GTA— the ice cream wars.

It has more action than the MP Ruby Dhalla scandal— and it hits close to home.

For example, this afternoon when I heard the familiar tune of the ice cream truck (with its rather annoying ‘hello’ punctuating the song) I ran out the door to get my ice cream.
I missed the truck for the past week because they never stick around long in my neighbourhood.

My happiness at finally getting a small chocolate cone was dampened when I saw a man who couldn’t have been more than 25 swearing his opinion at the vendor.

The vendor, more like a summer Santa Claus than a dastardly planner of terror, was receiving this abuse in silence, completely shocked.

Having waited a week for this ice cream, I asked the man, politely of course, to stop accosting the vendor. With a manic glint in his eye, he spit out “Doesn’t this drive you insane?” “No,” I said simply and turned to the truck.

The man stalked away and I was finally able to get myself what I had desired for so long, thanking the vendor for his service.

Now, I am not an addict I hope, neither am I related to a vendor in any way I think, and neither am I a crusader for ice cream rights (as of yet).

Yes, the law is the law and it must be upheld through hell or high water.

But where does the law give anyone permission to abuse someone who has bills to pay and possibly even a family to support?

That’s a rhetorical question by the way– I would never dream of sparking a debate about vigilantes, because then the mayor would have to get involved now, wouldn’t she?

I leave you all with that thought as I have to get back to my studying.

I especially want to thank the people who are so righteous in their search for peace, quiet and lawfulness on the streets of Brampton– you have provided a great deal of entertainment for me.

But I wonder now— does buying an ice cream make me an accessory to criminal activity? Good thing there’s no evidence left.

Oh, and by the way, the ice cream was delicious.

Felicia Mittica
http://www.our-haunted-island.com
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Neapolitan complex

Link Award 

I, also, love the festive jingling that heralds the coming of the ice cream man, even though I've gotten ice cream from the ice cream man exactly twice in my life. What kind of sourpuss doesn't like the ice cream truck?

Tags
canada, ice cream trucks, ice cream vendors, ontario