Notices

Go Back   Ice Cream Forum > Regional Ice Cream Scenes > United States > Vermont
Unread 06-06-2015, 11:41 PM

Ice Cream Cone Vermont Maple Creemee is summer’s new sweet treat

From The New York Post: http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/the-ver...w-sweet-treat/

Vermont Maple Creemee is summer’s new sweet treat

By Joanna Prisco

June 6, 2015 | 1:40pm

rom the twinkling sounds of an ice-cream truck to the crackle and pop of a grill being fired up for a barbecue, signals abound that summer has arrived in New York City.

But for those who hail from the Green Mountain State, one frosty treat is the season’s true signifier: the Vermont maple creemee.

Served in towering swirls in a cup or a waffle cone, a creemee is the simple union of soft-serve ice cream and maple sugar and/or maple syrup.
Modal Trigger

Photo: Stefano Giovannini

But if you’re from Vermont, it’s not just a dessert — it’s a quintessential taste of New England.

“Growing up, it was everywhere in the summer,” says Crystal Lamb, 34, a stay-at-home mom in Windsor Terrace who grew up in Manchester, Vt. “You could get it at little farmstands and shops in town, on a drive home after swimming or hiking, and it was a treat.”
Modal Trigger

Corner of Vermont owner Mark HastingsPhoto: Stefano Giovannini

That’s why Vermonters transplanted to New York City are flocking to Corner of Vermont, a Park Slope, Brooklyn, store that sells various maple products, including the beloved, curiously spelled creemee.

“Anyone who has ever had a creemee sees our sign and just has to come in,” says Mark Hastings, 59, who opened the pine-clad cafe last year, offering syrup from his 250-acre maple farm, Black Bear Sugarworks, in Vermont. “As far as I know, we’re the only place in the city that offers them.”

Hastings whips up batches of maple creemee using a recipe that belongs to Kingdom Creamery, a family-owned dairy and maple farm in East Hardwick, Vt., that has been operating since 1954.

It features grade- A maple syrup, maple sugar, milk and cream, which is then pumped with air to create pleasant, soft peaks, “unlike lesser versions that just lace syrup through vanilla ice cream,” says Hastings.

The result is a silky treat with an intense maple aroma, a light caramel flavor and an almost coffee-like aftertaste. Its distinctiveness is luring droves of neighborhood children and transplanted New Englanders alike.

“Vermonters take maple syrup very seriously: Everyone has it in their own jugs, some people trade services for it. To me, it tastes so much better than cane sugar,” says Lamb. “I return to Vermont for a month with my kids in the summer, and we always stop at local farmstands for the maple ice cream.”
Modal Trigger

Photo: Stefano Giovannini

To her purist’s palate, the Park Slope creemee hits its mark.

“[It’s] really good,” Lamb says. “It tastes richer than other versions I’ve tried.”

Cassidy Puckett, a Prospect Heights resident who was raised in Shelburne Falls, Mass., agrees.

“I grew up about 20 minutes from Brattleboro, Vt.,” says Puckett. “The Park Slope shop’s version is exactly my memory [from childhood]. So tasty, not overly sweet, perfect.”

It also makes a mean milkshake –— Corner of Vermont serves a “Black and Tan” shake made with maple creemee and chocolate syrup. The shop also offers pleenthusiasts like Hastings, there’s no better sweetener.

“Maple syrup is rich in minerals and considered a super food, y’know,” he says. “So the creemee is practically healthy.”
http://www.our-haunted-island.com

Tags
brooklyn, maple syrup, new england ice cream, vermont, vermont ice cream flavor