Notices

Go Back   Ice Cream Forum > Recipe Box > Desserts > Halloween Tricks and Treats
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Single Scoop

Default homemade Pumpkin Pie ice cream

I wish I had seen this recipe nearer Halloween or Thanksgiving...
http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/200...pkin-icecream/
Quote:
This version is healthier than regular ice cream, since there’s a high proportion of milk to cream. I encourage you to eat it during the summer, Thanksgiving and yes, the middle of winter.

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

Adapted from Frozen Desserts, Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts, Gourmet and The Perfect Scoop

Makes about 5 cups

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned is fine, but make sure it has no added flavorings)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon brandy or vodka
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers or gingersnap cookies

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan bring milk, cream, and about half of sugar just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat.

Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat yolks, spices and remaining sugar until thick and pale. Add hot milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into saucepan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F., or the mixture coats the back of a spoon. (Do not let boil.) Pour custard through a sieve into a metal bowl set in ice and cold water. Add the brandy/vodka and vanilla and cool. Chill custard, covered, until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.

Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker. While the ice cream is freezing, scatter a handful of cookies in the bottom of an airtight storage container. When the ice cream is finished churning, quickly fold in the rest of the cookies. Transfer to the storage container and put in freezer to harden, 1 to 3 hours.
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Sugar Cone Kid

my wife LOVES LOVES LOVES pumpkin flavored ice cream and this looks really good. We are going to try to make this. Thanks for posting this recipe. Looks amazing.
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Single Scoop

Wow, never heard of this. I think I would love it too. I love pumpkin pie and cream so why not!? I was surprised once when I had pumpkin raviolis. They were awesome. I am willing to be pumpkin ice cream rocks (assuming it is high quality, dense, etc.)

I am not set up to make ice cream so now I gotta find someone who can or sells this!
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
New Flavor

I tried this recipe last night and to my dismay it came out so perfect. Today I had 2 more servings and tomorrow I will make more! I followed the suggestion of the previous review and put crushed pecans in and it was just divine! I did skip the electric blender part and after pulling the cream off the stove I put the pumpkin, spices, and cream mixture in my stand mixer on setting 2 and that blended everything perfectly and whipped up the cream to the right consistency. The consistency and texture of this ice cream came out better than any I have ever made! I didn't even have to freeze it first. I will definitely make it again and again and again! ..
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:26 AM
New Flavor

I also tried it with my kids. And the result is not that good as is not really that presentable. But I'm happy my children enjoyed while we made the pumpkin ice cream. =) They said we will make another one next week. Hope we can perfect it! =)